Attendance Instruction Manual

NEW: Check out our demo video

Getting Started

Using the Attendance App

Setting up your attendance sheet on Google Spreadsheets

1. Navigate to https://docs.google.com and sign in with your gmail account (or create a new account)
  2. On the main screen, in the upper left-hand corner, click the “New” button and select “Spreadsheet”
  3. Columns A and B are reserved for student names. You may use one name column, or two separate columns for first and last name.

Column C is reserved for the total number of absences for each student. Column D is reserved for the total number of tardies for each student. Every other column after D contains the dates that students were absent or late.

Here is an example spreadsheet:

Adding an attendance sheet

To add an attendance sheet, navigate to the main screen (the screen with the title, “Classes”). Press the physical menu key on your phone, and select “Add Class”. This will bring up the Add Class Wizard.

The first screen gives you a brief explanation of the wizard. The next screen asks you for three settings:

1. The name of your Google Spreadsheet. This is case sensitive! (“Phil 101” is not the same as “PHIL 101”).
  2. Your Google username.
  3. Your Google password. (Note: all saved passwords are encrypted before saving.)

The next screen asks you for a display name for the attendance sheet. This is how the attendance sheet is displayed in the app. It can be anything you want (i.e. “PHIL 101-02 Spring ’11”, “Introduction to History”, etc.).

The final screen asks for some basic information about your spreadsheet. If you use one name column, make sure the button at the top says “Just one column”, and select which column this is under “first name column”.

If you use two name columns, click the button at the top so that it is enabled and says “Two separate columns”. Next select which column contains the first names, and which column contains the last names.

Finally, select which row contains the first student name.

The first time an attendance sheet is saved, the app will save the absent/late formulas in columns C and D. ALL DATA IN COLUMNS C AND D WILL BE ERASED.

Understanding the attendance data

Here is how data is stored in your spreadsheet:

• Columns A and B are reserved for student names. You can use either one column, or both columns.
  • Column C contains the total number of times a student was marked absent.
  • Column D contains the total number of times a student was marked late.
  • Any column after column D contains the date that a student was marked absent/late.
    • When a student is marked absent, the app simply saves the date to the spreadsheet. (i.e. “9/25/2010”).
    • When a student is marked late, the app will save the word “LATE” followed by the date (i.e. “LATE-9/25/2010”).

Marking students absent/late and submitting results

On the main screen (the screen with “Classes” as the header), select the class you would to take attendance for. Selecting a class will first sign you in to your Google account, and will then pull in a list of student names from your spreadsheet.

Once the list loads, you will see that each student is marked as “Present” by default. Tapping a student’s name cycles through three attendance settings: “Present”, “Absent”, and “Late”.

After you have completed your roll call, press the physical menu key on your phone, and select “Submit Results”.

Marking a student late that you previously marked as absent

If you marked a student as absent, but they later come into class, all you need to do is select the class they are in, long press on the student name, and select “Mark last absence as late”.

1. #1 by Majed on November 13, 2010 - 11:45 am

Great app!

How can I erase a class?
    what happens if a new student comes in after like 3 weeks of study?
    i would like to mark students who did not bring thier books to class.

Jon Nale Reply:

Majed,

If a new student comes into your class, all you need to do is add the name to your spreadsheet. The app takes care of the rest!

Likewise, if a student drops out of your class, just remove their name from the spreadsheet..

We are working on another app that will let you record specific things such as daily/weekly homework, if the student has their book, etc. We will post more about it when we get closer to release.

Andrew Cullison Reply:

Majed,

To delete a class, simply long press it and the option to delete it will come up.

2. #2 by Electric Blue on December 9, 2010 - 11:51 am

Is there a way to include how late the student was to class? For example, I’d like to note what time they arrived and/or what time they left if they have left early.

Andrew Cullison Reply:

Electric,

Interesting idea…we’ll look into that.

3. #3 by Richard on December 17, 2010 - 3:31 pm

I tried the attendance app and when I tried the setup it tells me invalid username/password. I tried several time any suggestions?

Andrew Cullison Reply:

Hi Richard,

I don’t know that we’ve encountered this issue before with Attendance. Let me talk to Jon. Here are some preliminary questions that might help us.

1. What device are you using?
    2. What version of Android?
    3. Are you using a standard Gmail account (or are you using something like Google Apps for Education?)

4. #4 by Andrew on January 11, 2011 - 9:10 pm

I love the app, but how do I delete a class?

Andrew Cullison Reply:

Hi Andrew,

I’m glad to hear you love the app. Please consider rating it in the Android Market.

Deleting a class is simple. Just long press on it and the option to delete will pop up.

5. #5 by Barbara Nixon on January 20, 2011 - 7:59 pm

I’ve been using this app for the last week, and so far, I love it. One thing I wanted to do was be able to note university-approved absences in some way. Though I can’t do it directly in the app, I found a workaround. I open the Google spreadsheet for the class, and add a Comment to the date.

Thanks for creating this!

Barbara Nixon
    Southeastern University

Andrew Cullison Reply:

Barbara,

That’s great! Good to hear. And just so you know, we’re working on an update to Attendance that will let you track an extra feature and let you customize all of them. You’ll soon be able to track excused absences without the need to implement your workaround.

6. #6 by Marko on February 2, 2011 - 7:55 pm

I have a class that uses two colums for first and last name. A student came late and I marked the last absence as late. But the LATE…. was entered in column C under “Absent Totals”. Is that the expected behavior? This is my first time using the app…

Thanks and best regards,

Marko

Andrew Cullison Reply:

Marko,

That shouldn’t be happening. My guess is that you may have set your spreadsheet and told the app that you were using one name column instead of two.

I’m going to try and do that on my end and see if I can replicate your result.

7. #7 by Jason Sonnenfelt on March 9, 2011 - 2:01 am

Is there any way to specify a sheet on the spreadsheet. I want one sheet, which is populated by a form, to provide the names for attendance. However, this is most easily done with them as separate sheets in one document.

8. #8 by Ross on July 5, 2011 - 1:19 am

I have been attempting to use the attendance app. I have created a spreadsheet and when I go through the wizard, no errors but I get no link to the students nor did my spreadsheet get updated with the formulas.

9. #9 by Ross on July 5, 2011 - 4:17 pm

It isn’t working at all. App finds the spreadsheet but no formulas are added or are the students added to the app on the phone

Jon Nale Reply:

Ross,

We are looking into this issue, but are having trouble recreating it on our end. Our attendance spreadsheets are working fine on our end, and we have no trouble adding them.

We will have an update coming in the near future which will make the entire setup process much easier.

We apologize for the inconvience this is causing! Stay tuned for a major update. We are hoping to have it out by the end of the month or early August.

(will not be published)