Grade Book for Professors Instructions

Video Overview

Shorter Videos of Key Features

Coming Soon…written instruction manual

1. #1 by Chris E on August 20, 2010 - 2:53 am

Nice. I’ll try it out. It hasn’t incorporated your attendance-taking-to-Google-forms trick yet, has it?

If not, I imagine there’s probably a way to get the Grading spreadsheet to populate the Absences column with data from a separate Attendance spreadsheet.

Andrew Cullison Reply:

Thanks Chris,

This doesn’t do attendance, but we’re working on the best way to implement attendance.

In the meantime, you’re right. It’s easy to do our attendance trick and get it to go in to your gradebook spreadsheet.

2. #2 by Paul K on August 23, 2010 - 3:32 pm

How can I get the program to calculate the overall mark for each subject?

Andrew Cullison Reply:

Hi Paul,

Right now, all calculation is done inside of the Google Spreadsheet that you set up the program to interact with.

If you set up a column in Google Spreadsheet called “Final Grade” (for example), and program it to do whatever calculations you want on the other grades, it will show up in the phone. But at the moment, complex formula calculations must be handle inside of the Google Spreadsheet.

Future updates will contain more robust functionality.

3. #3 by Tony on August 28, 2010 - 5:01 pm

Trying to set up a class. I created a spreadsheet as outlined on my computer, using google docs. I entered the name of the spreadsheet and then my google login information into your app on my phone, but I kept getting an error message saying invalid user ID or PW. I set up a new google account and tried that and received the same error message. I can login to google from a web page just fine, using both these accounts and manually entering all of the text. Am I missing a step? Is there some problem with something else?

4. #4 by Jon Nale on August 28, 2010 - 7:32 pm

Tony,

When entering your username, are you putting @gmail.com at the end? If you are, try it without @gmail.com. Let us know if it works!

5. #5 by Tony on August 28, 2010 - 8:20 pm

I’ve tried both with the .gmail.com and without it.

6. #6 by Jon Nale on August 28, 2010 - 8:44 pm

Tony, I just sent you an email.

7. #7 by Tony on August 28, 2010 - 10:47 pm

It’s all working good now. I re-did the Google account verification procedure and after that, everything worked! Thanks for your prompt support on this!

8. #8 by Tina on September 30, 2010 - 6:53 pm

I am looking into this app to use for my Riding lessons. My question is whether or not the columns are set or if they are customizable.

Jon Nale Reply:

Tina,

The columns are customizable. You can currently set name column(s), grade columns, and an email column (if you have an email column).

When entering grade columns, you enter in a range (i.e. columns C-F, columns E-L, etc.). The app will then pull in all the columns that are in that range.

If you have any other questions, please let us know!

9. #9 by Amanda McClellan on November 15, 2010 - 8:21 pm

I am getting a getnames() Service Error message when I try to open a class.

I have gotten this to work once with another class. I have deleted and redone this particular class multiple times and keep getting the same message error.

Andrew Cullison Reply:

Hi Amanda,

We’re currently working on a fix to this issue, but the following will likely fix the problem until we do:

1. Open up the spreadsheet that’s giving you problems (open it in Google Docs, not your phone)
    2. Delete all of the empty rows below the last student.
    3. Restart your phone

This should take care of it. The program (occasionally) does something weird when those empty rows are there.

Let me know if that takes care of the problem.

10. #10 by binh on February 6, 2011 - 12:48 am

I’ve suddenly started getting the invalid username/password message…Please help. I erased the classes and tried to start over and now I can’t even add a class!

binh Reply:

I turned the phone on and off and now can seem to add the classes…. but boy, I’ve added and deleted those classes more than I can count. I also had to delete and add my attendance sheet all over again….

Andrew Cullison Reply:

Hi Binh,

Sorry you’re having troubles. I have a hypothesis. I noticed that I was having the same issue. I kept getting invalid username/password…I deleted my gradebooks just like you…etc…

Then I discovered that I had my WiFi turned off and I was in a bad 3G area.

So…it may be that there was something funky with your internet connection. Resetting the phone could have reset the 3G to pick up a stronger signal from a nearby tower.

If it happens again (and you know that your signal is excellent) please let us know.

11. #11 by Tyson on June 29, 2011 - 3:48 pm

I finally got the program to import a simplified version of my existing Excel gradebook and make a class out of it on my phone. Anytime I try to open that class the app force closes. I have tried removing and reinstalling the app, rebooting the phone and remaking the class. None of these produced any results. I was also looking for the functionality restraints of this app with multiple sheets in the same spreadsheet document.

Jon Nale Reply:

Tyson,

Did you hit “Report problem” when the application crashed? If so, we can check the log on our end to see what error was reported.

We currently have no plans to support multiple worksheets inside a spreadsheet, but this may change in the future.

Tyson Reply:

There was no ability to report the problem. It just force closed and went away.

If not supporting multiple worksheets, at least the ability to select what sheet you want for what (ie: workbook with first sheet as gradebook, second sheet as attendance and third sheet as formatted print for grade submission). The respective apps would let you choose which sheet you wanted to use to populate that app.

12. #12 by Christine on July 4, 2011 - 6:14 am

I’m getting the same message. (Invalid user name/password). I don’t know why- I’ve double checked my gmail account and everything is syncing well except for this app. Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Jon Nale Reply:

Christine,

I know you said you double-checked, but just to be absolutely positive, did you check the case-sensitivity of the password? Make sure that your keyboard does not default the very first letter of the password to a capital letter (of course, unless the very first letter of your password is capital).

If you are still having problems, please let us know and we will get back to you ASAP.

Christine Reply:

I figured it out. Thanks!!

13. #13 by Mike Jabot on September 3, 2011 - 1:08 pm

Andy
    Which column do email addresses need to be entered in?

THANKS for the help — this app is AWESOME!

Mike

Jon Nale Reply:

Email addresses can be in any column, but the header of the column needs to be Email or E-mail.

The app will automatically select that column as the email column.

14. #14 by Tyson on September 3, 2011 - 3:06 pm

I have an entire grading setup utilizing the Gradebook and the attendance apps. If you would like a copy, to use as is or at least get the code from, let me know. I have utilized it for one semester already and it works great.

15. #15 by Tyson on September 3, 2011 - 3:14 pm

Here are the links to the documents. The code is setup so that that class information page in the Bardeen is the only place you need to edit the information. The attendance and the remainder of the bardeen sheets are populated by the data you entered as well as what is added by the Gradbook and Attendance apps.

Attendance:

Bardeen:

16. #16 by Binh on September 3, 2011 - 3:30 pm

Emails have to be in the first column.

Jon Nale Reply:

17. #17 by Binh on September 3, 2011 - 3:33 pm

This is somewhat off topic, but since I got an iPad, I also wanted to sing the praises of Gradebook Pro- costs $9.99, but man do I love it. Exports as csv so I just copy and paste into my android for academics grade sheet as well to keep thing synced. :)

18. #18 by Tyson on September 9, 2011 - 1:54 am

I added the “Email” column and populated it. The app will send a grade email when done individually but gives the email error (no explanation) when attempting to do the bulk email. It does not give the error for the bulk message, however, it does not actually send the bulk message to the class.

(will not be published)